A smile makeover is associated with many restoration and rejuvenation procedures to improve on the aesthetics of your smile. It combines cosmetic, dentistry and facial rejuvenation methods to give you the perfect ‘Hollywood smile’ of celebrities.
There are many procedures that focus on straightening crooked teeth, repairing broken teeth, replacing missing teeth, closing the gaps between teeth, improving smile lines, correcting a gummy smile and teeth whitening. Some of these include:
- Tooth color: Stains and discoloration of the teeth enamel can be cleaned or bleached to the best shade that matches your complexion. Any silver or stained filling may be treated with a color matched bonding material to provide a natural appearance. Veneers (thin layer of tooth-colored material placed over a tooth) or crown implants (tooth-shaped cap) can also be used to cover up discoloration and damage from wear and tear, and decay.
- Missing teeth: Gaps between teeth are usually the cause of tooth decay and other oral health problems. They may destroy the alignment of teeth over time and lead to biting and chewing malfunctions. Your dentist may recommend dental bridges (crown implants that bridge the gap between two teeth), dental implants or dentures (false teeth) to fill the gap between teeth.
- Alignment: The teeth may sometimes be asymmetrically aligned or overlapping. Misaligned teeth may be corrected with full mouth reconstruction or cosmetic dentistry, such as porcelain veneers or clear braces.
- Tooth shape: Even small details such as tooth size and shape can be corrected. Your teeth may be lengthened or shortened using gum reduction or porcelain veneers to make it them more attractive. The shape of the tooth can be altered using veneers or cosmetic bonding (tooth colored composite plastic applied on tooth).
- Gum balance: A gummy smile can be corrected with gum surgery before placing any veneers or crowns.
- Face shape: The shape of your face can alter with age, wear down or fall out. Your cosmetic dentist may recommend oral maxillofacial surgery or orthodontics (treats misaligned teeth) to fill out your cheeks and face, and revive a younger look.
Irrespective of the procedure, the life span of the treatment depends upon the maintenance. You are advised to brush and use floss to increase the duration of restoration. You may be recommended to visit your dentist regularly for checkups. You should take care not to eat hard foods, if you are using porcelain restoration. You may use a night guard to protect your teeth, if you have habit of grinding your teeth at night.
A complete smile makeover can improve your overall quality of life by increasing your self-confidence and self-esteem.